Close X

Tucson Social Security Disability Blog

How Should I Contact Social Security To Get Information On My Claim?

Posted by John Kuhnlein | Jul 27, 2017 | 0 Comments

Once you have your application for Social Security disability benefits filed, you are going to want to know how the process is going. This means getting information from Social Security.  So, what is the best way to do this?

Here Is The Telephone Number NEVER To Call

One thing you do not want to do is call Social Security's national toll-free number, 800 772 1213.  This is the number that Social Security wants you to call, but don't do it.  I have learned over the years that the people who take calls at 800 772 1213 will tell you

Can't You Hear Me Calling?

absolutely anything to get you off the line.  The goal is to get you to hang up, regardless of whether you got any useful information. I have clients call and tell me what the workers at this line have reported to them.  Most of the time, the information is wrong or useless. Just remember: they are trying to get you off the line, not to help you.

Call DDS If Your Case Is In The Early Stages

To get better information about your claim, first, understand where it is.  Once your application is finished, Social Security will send it to a state agency, DDS, for work up.  You will get much farther calling DDS than you will be calling Social Security. It can take many tries to get through, but DDS can tell you who has your claim and that person's telephone number.  You can call this DDS worker for an update. Chances are, however, no one will ever call you back. But, at least you know you are contacting the right person. DDS in  southern Arizona is 520 638 2000

ODAR Can Provide Good Information

If your case is awaiting a hearing before a judge, call ODAR.  The workers here are generally pretty good about getting you an update. Most of the time the answer will be along the lines of "we're working on it." Even that, however, gives you some idea of where you stand. The Tucson ODAR's telephone number is 888 383 8694

The Appeals Council? Yeah, They Are Not Going To Talk To You

Yeah, I'm Working On It. . .

If your case has gone to the Appeals Council, forget it. Those people are not going to talk to you. Ever. Just forget about it and wait for a decision.

If You Can Find The Right Payment Center, You May Learn Where Your Benefits Are

If you got approved and are awaiting payment, you can try Social Security's payment centers. The trick is to find the office that has your claim.  It might take some research and a few calls, but you can likely get to the correct office.  As to whether anyone there will call you back, let's say it's unlikely. 

Your Money Is Right Here

Summing Up

In sum, when seeking information from Social Security about your disability claim, NEVER call 800 772 1213.  Figure out where your claim is and then call that office.  Very likely, no one is going to respond. Even if they do, they are unlikely to tell you anything you can actually use.  But, if you are going to make the effort to get an update on your case, be as precise as possible.

Have you had luck contacting Social Security? What technique did you use? Did you learn anything?  Let me know. 

About the Author

John Kuhnlein

Since 1992, I have been helping the people of Southern Arizona get the benefits they are due. Before devoting all my efforts to assisting people with Social Security disability claims, I also handled such complex lawsuits as medical malpractice and products liability. I brought to my Social Security cases all the skills and attention to detail that I developed in the courtroom. I approach each Social Security disability case as if it were a million-dollar lawsuit. For the people trying to get Social Security benefits, their claim is every bit as important. Because I have personally handled so many Social Security cases, I have refined the skills I need to win your case for you. I have helped people win cases for every kind of ailment from arthritis to valley fever. At present, I am focused on helping those persons with neurological and orthopedic disorders. Because claims for people over age fifty bring additional complications, I particularly seek out those cases to work on. I regularly write about back and spine conditions on my blog. I actively seek out the latest information about orthopedic and neurological disorders to ensure I can represent my clients as effectively as possible. Because of my current focus, I regret that I am not able to take any cases for mental disorders. If you are over age fifty and suffer from any orthopedic or neurological disorder, please contact me at once.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

About Our Firm

John Kuhnlein has been assisting people with Social Security disability claims for the past 25+ years.

Free Consultation

Feel free to call with any questions or concerns you have about Social Security disability. I never charge for a consultation. In fact, there is no charge at all until we win your case. Unlike most lawyers, I never charge extra for things like telephone calls or making copies.